54th Armored Field Artillery
The 54th Field Artillery Battalion (Armored) has only been in existence since April 15, 1941 at which time the unit was activated at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana. The battalion was formed with 44 officers and 246 enlisted men who came from 78th Field Artillery Battalion (Armored), Second Armored Division, Fort Benning, Georgia. On this day of activation of the battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Clinton M. Lucas assumed command. A Battalion Staff was appointed and officers and enlisted men assigned to organizations.